The release of Gartner’s magic quadrant for business intelligence and analytics platforms this year has put a new perspective on business intelligence and analytics platforms (BI&A). Gartner is proving that Business Intelligence is becoming a more user-friendly set of techniques and tools used to analyse an organisation’s raw data into meaningful and useful information for business analysis purposes, such as data mining, online analytical processing, querying and reporting.
Business Intelligence (BI) is being used to support a wide range of business decisions ranging from operational to strategic, therefore allowing a better interpretation of large volumes of data.
Gartner’s magic quadrant webinar for 2016 was hosted by Josh Parenteau, Rita L. Sallam, Cindi Howson, Joao Tapadinhas, Kurt Schlegel and Thomas W. Oestreich who focused on three main issues for this year’s magic quadrant being:
- What is a modern business intelligence tool?
- What changes are there in Gartner’s assessment of the business intelligence market?
- How have Gartner evaluated their business intelligence and analytics platform’s magic quadrant for 2016?
Covering more bases on how BI has improved various companies, taking a look at smaller and newer companies using Bimodal IT mode 2, they focus more on agility and speed. Whereas longer standing companies use mode 1 in terms of a more traditional and safer work approach. Modern BI tools are making the buyers and sellers’ market more user friendly, therefore it would eventually force bigger mode 1 companies to gradually move over to mode 2 ensuring that workflow and data usage becomes faster and more agile.
Adding to Gartner’s report, advance analytics platforms offer an environment for the development and deployment of models such as:
- Access to various data sources
- Visualisation, explanation and preparation of data
- Ability to develop and build analytic models
- Ability to deploy and integrate models into applications and business processes
- Capabilities to perform, project, platform and model management
- High performance and scalability for development and deployment
See below Gartner’s magic quadrant for business intelligence and analytics platforms 2016
- Figure 1. Magic Quadrant for Business Intelligence and Analytics Platforms
Source: Gartner (February 2016)
Coming to a conclusion that modern BI tools empower organisations to gain insight into new markets, assess demands and suitability of products and services of different market segments, and gauge impact of marketing efforts. It is advisable that all organisations take full advantage of modern BI tools to improve workflow making data analysis more self-servicing and user-friendly within your company and for the general public.
To read the full article on Gartner’s magic quadrant for business intelligence and analytics platforms, please click the below link.